- Skin bumps that may leak fluid when scratched
- Thickened, cracked, dry, scaly skin
- Patches of red, inflamed skin
There is no cure for eczema, but good daily skincare is essential to controlling the disease.
- Brief soak in bath once per day for 10-15 minutes
- Use mild skin cleansers
- Keep bathwater lukewarm
- Gently pat skin dry, avoid rubbing
- Use creams or ointments free of dyes and fragrance to seal in moisture
- Apply moisturizers immediately after a bath and several times per day
- Use antihistamines to relieve itching, several are available over the counter or by prescription.
- Keep fingernails trimmed and filed
Treat the Rash
- Apply topical steroids or other topical medications as directed by your doctor, these vary in potency
- In severe cases, your doctor may prescribe oral medications or medication injections to treat the rash